Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Recipe Tuesday

Well, it's Tuesday night. I skipped dinner tonight and jolted out to do some errands. I really do hate big box stores, although can appreciate the lower pricing at this time of year. My aim is to be done all Christmas shopping by latest December 1st.
Anyways in my famished stupor, thought I'd post a quick recipe for you to try! It's a really fast Risotto, I LOVE Risotto! Revise and play with it as you wish, that's how I came up with it! Sorry I can't offer a pic, gobbled it down too quickly last time I made it

Here it is...

SAHM'S EASY RISOTTO
Serves 4 - with leftovers depending if you pair it with something else
Ingredients

1/2 Onion  - finely chopped (I like to use my mini chopper and really grind it down)
1/2 tsp Saffron (optional)
1/4 cup (or less) butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup Arborio rice
1.5 cup low sodium chicken broth *
2.5 cup water
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (the dried doesn't work well here, if you don't have fresh - omit)
1/4 cup (or more) grated Parmesan

* you can always substitute the chicken broth with veggie or just water with  a little salt.

Directions
- Heat the butter on low-med until melted, add oil and turn up to med-high
- Fry the onion in your sauce/rice pot until translucent, add the saffron and arborio rice and fry for another minute or so - just to coat the rice and saffron with the butter and oil
If you like mushrooms (unlike my hubs,boooo!), add em with the onion
- Add the broth and water, stir, and bring to a boil
- Turn down to low-med heat and stir occasionally
- Once the risotto  hits your desired consistency, add the parsley and Parmesan. Give it a good stir, serve and enjoy!
A few twists of your black pepper mill over your dish finishes it perfectly!


I revised my risotto recipe to avoid the 30 min over the pot stirring (who has time for that??!) Generally all you have to do is add your rice and 4 times the amount of water, let it cook over med-high heat and voila! Done! With the occasional stir of course :)

Better go grab a bite myself .....got some codfish concoction and bread rolls on the stove. hmmmm, can I eat fish this late..questionable :) 

Oh!, little bears' waking up for her first (of many) little snacks of the night...gotta run, snack later !

No comments:

Post a Comment